Thursday, May 31, 2007

Let's get the Party started

So after a few delays and a lot of waiting on my end, Mario Party 8 finally was released; the first MP for the Wii. I picked up today along with another Wiimote. I only briefly explored it, since I don't want to be accused of mastering all the mini games by my friends when I play it with them when I return to Cleveland in a few weeks.

Anyways, based on an extremely brief playing of it, my feelings are mixed. For the most part, it's the same as it has been for the previous few iterations, which is a good thing. They've put in a few tweaks (goodbye orbs, hello candy) and added a few new characters just to keep things fresh. They also were able to transition the mini games into being Wii-compatible. I can't wait to try them out, but I have a feeling they'll have just scratched the surface with what they are capable of doing with their technology and these mini games.

There is one major detriment to this new version that I've discovered. The graphics are horrible. They look like absolute shit. For some bizarre reason, gameplay is done in 4:3 instead of the usual 16:9. If you didn't know any better, you would probably think this is a MP from the Nintendo 64 days. The good news is that we're usually good and drunk when playing MP, so we probably won't notice the crappy graphics that much.

No comments: