Thursday, May 10, 2007

So that's Jacob?

Well after months of teasing, we supposedly finally got to see Jacob tonight. I've got mixed emotions on it as it certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I fully anticipate that we'll get more info on him in the weeks and years to come, but for now, consider me underwhelmed. There are some speculation on the Lost message boards that there is a connection between the island's volcanic gas and the hallucinations people have. My head starts to hurt if I try to think about that though. Also, there's already a screencap up of a brief glimpse of Jacob:



The rest of the episode was a mixed bag. We certainly got some answers about the Dharma Initiative and Ben's past. We also learned that Jack and Juliette have a plan to combat against the Others. And the previews seem to indicate that Rousseau's trip for dynamite last week may play into that. Then there was the shocking finish, which I won't say here in case someone hasn't seen the episode yet. But all I have to say about that is, "Oh my God".

And now some questions after last night's episode:
- What happened to Annie? Would Ben let her die along with the rest of the Dharma people?
- Was that really Richard that young Ben met in the jungle? If not, who?
- Is there any significance to the fact that Ben and Locke's mothers are both named Emily?
- How much more abuse can poor Mikhail take?
- And can we really trust Jack and Juliette?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One interesting thought I had that I've also seen on the boards is the thought the "Jacob" is trapped by the circle. Circles made with chalk, salt, dust, etc. have been used in popular culture to signify keeping something in or keeping something out. Yes, here comes another metaphor breaking the fourth wall: we're Jacob. Yep, that's right. We're trapped in some funked up time loop where quantum physics shows us its tricky side. Fading in and out of the island's "present," we can only call out to the one person who seems as intent as we do to understand the island: John Locke. "Help me."

Bothersome gnats of need: so, is Dharma basically impotent? What have they discovered trying to understand the island's unique characteristics? If the purge occured so long ago, if we believe that, then Dharma has been "funding" research that hasn't yielded results in almost two decades. Am I supposed to believe that? Am I supposed to forget about where this entire season has been heading? I mean by that, it's been heading toward knowing one thing: the motives of Ben's people. Guess what, that's season six. We've just been punked.

Peace.

- Dustin