Thursday, May 10, 2007

Zodiac

Squeezed in another film at the Blue Ridge today (God bless summer vacation!) and saw a fantastic one. The entire cast was top notch, even those who had smaller roles like Brian Cox and Anthony Edwards. It's a long movie (clocking in over 2 1/2 hours), but you easily become engrossed in everything and the film never really drags. I certainly would have liked some closure, but real life dictates otherwise. Despite the fact that the true killer was never confirmed, the film does a nice job of guiding you in a certain direction and giving you a person that likely committed the crimes. There were several questions I had while watching it (like why does it take so long for Jake Gyllenhaal's character to get involved in the case?), but I'm not sure it was the film's place to answer those questions. I guess one should just read more about the case if they want to know more. I think the most frustrating thing about the film is realizing how much easier it would be to determine the killer in today's day and age thanks to technology. Then again, maybe I'm spoiled by watching C.S.I. all the time.

Bottom line is that this was fantastic and a must-see recommendation from me. Most likely you'll have to wait until it comes out to video now, but when it does go rent it. A-

No comments: