Monday, May 7, 2007

Race limps to the finish line

A thoroughly underwhelming finish to a season that struggled most of the way through. Given their performance throughout, Eric and Danielle were the least worthy of winning. They were yielded twice, marked for elimination once, seemingly were forever stranded at airports and never finished first in a leg until this episode. I mean, annoying as they are, at least the Schmirnas were skillful at finding early flights.

I was impressed with the physical challenge that they did (mile run on the beach and then kayak through rough waters), but it goes to show that this race is only designed for top atheletes. Could you imagine Teri and Ian completing that challenge?

As much as I liked the physical challenge, I loathed the safe-cracking one (Where was the Roadblock). It's a good thing the questions were about the other teams and not about your partner, or else Danielle would have been there forever. I think the final moments revealed where Eric's heart lie. We knew from their previous season that Eric and Jeremy were close, but that "I'm gonna give you some spankings" line, last night just confirmed it. I guess the show felt two gay couples was enough and asked Eric to find a beard.

Oh well. As a show, the Amazing Race is still solid and I have no doubt they'll rebound next time, as long as they have decent contestants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If they want me to watch, then it should actually be a race. I still think it's ridiculous to keep everyone together for each leg. That's why the best doesn't win in this show. That's why whoever happens to be lucky the last few legs always wins. It's one missed turn or one sprained ankle. Give me a break. Let's see a real race where you lose time when you sleep. These people are too well rested. Let's see some real stress!